Thursday, April 25, 2013

Life's Biggest Hurdle..Math

This may not be the biggest hurdle I've ever faced, but at this current time, all my stress is focused on one thing. Well, a few things, but one main thing. This College Algebra class. I have never been more stressed out over something because a lot is riding on whether I pass this class or not.

Basically, this is my last pre-requisite class for the RN program that I applied to for the fall. If I pass this class, hallelujah, praise the Lord God Almighty TRULY, my application will still be good and I'll just pray that my score is high enough to get in. If I don't pass this class, my application becomes void and I don't get considered for the program plus I have to retake the class which is torture enough going through the first time.

Math is just a foreign language to me. It honestly is. I understand the basic concepts and percentages, fractions, some pre-algebra stuff maybe but I am struggling so much just to get by in this class. Nothing sticks. It is too fast. I learn extra slow with math. I've gone through 3 tutors and I still have 2 of them. I tutor 2-3 times a week in addition to 6 hours of class plus I do online tutoring. And I am still barely passing the tests. And when I say barely passing I mean low D's. I just feel so frustrated. I thought I would be fine in it. I took the placement test and they put me in this class. I'm not this terrible at school normally. Just math. I got a 99% in my first psych class and I love my other subjects. Just not the numbers.

This is where I am praying more often than I normally do. You know how God wants us to seek Him first when we have a problem, rather than try to handle it on our own? I'm trying to keep that concept in my mind during these difficult times because all I want to do is retreat, give up, just withdraw and do a lower math to build my way up. But right now I am just like "God please get me through this". I know He does not want me to give up. I am already half way through this class and I just need need NEED Him.

It will truly be a miracle if I can pass this class so I never have to look back at it again... well.. at least until I take statistics (bleh). I would love to write in about 3 weeks time that I have conquered my fear and my stress! So... we shall see!!

1 comment:

Ashley P. said...

You and me both! I barely made it through my college algebra (and I had to take more than one). So glad to be done with school and definitely not looking forward to homeschooling math. That will be the husband's subject, lol! You're in my thoughts and prayers.