I feel like the kids and I work like clock-work when it comes to daily routine stuff. For example, my favorite routine is bed time. When I say it's bed time, I usually don't get complaints. They usually go to their rooms, and pick out their jams (pj's. we call them jams), and take off their clothes. Usually they'll need a little help taking stuff off and putting it on, but they have it for the most part. Then they ask me if we need to put them in lalabahan. The lalabahan is Tagalog for laundry lol. I love how my kids use Filipino phrases like that and "punas" for "wipe your nose" and "sipun" for "runny nose".
There's a cycle of put on your jams, then if Jonah gets done first I tell him to go pee. Meanwhile I help Leila brush teeth, wash face, and she goes straight to the towel to wipe her face then she goes pee. Then Jonah steps on the stool, washes hands, puts the toothpaste on his toothbrush, brush, wash face, then he goes to wipe his face off and get into bed. Then Leila comes back to me so I can brush her hair. Then she goes to lay down.
I always go to Jonah first to tuck him in. Not sure why, it just became routine since he's closer to when I turn out the light. I lay next to him, he says his usual prayers, we kiss goodnight, I get whatever stuffed animal is closest and make it hop all the way to Jonah and he grabs it and hugs it. We say I love you and then I go and do the same routine with Leila. She always wants to be covered by her seperate pink blanky, not the one that usually goes on her bed. Then as I leave I say "I love you peanuts" and they say "I love you mommy". And that's a wrap!
Usually they don't get up after that, especially if it's been a preschool day because then they are totally zonked.
One new routine that we've picked up is when I take them to preschool or as Leila calls it "peek sool". I park in the same spot every time.. I guess because no one ever parks there. They run on the grassy hill to the community center where their classroom is. Then we get in there, they go directly to put their lunch bags in their cubby and give me a hug and a kiss... then go pick a station to play at... then it's usually another hug and a kiss as they see me leaving. Oh! Then one more hug and kiss lol. Then they play as happy as can be. Every time I pick them up, they ask to go run on the mountain, which is that big grassy hill. I say yes and they go run out there and run around and chase each other and usually a few other kids that are out there. Then we get in the car and go run whatever errand.
Kids find comfort in routine more than anyone, especially when they are young. I learned that in those pregnancy and motherhood books and also have found it is so true. They love familiarity. But my kids are also very adaptable. We've moved around 6 times since they've been born and they've just adapted to all environments incredibly. They are my little world travelers. They can deal with any 14 hour plane ride to Korea, a 24 hour plane ride to Germany, and back to the states multiple times, they've flown on a C-130 Air Force plane where we had to wear ear plugs, and they've endured a cross-country road trip with me. They are true troopers. So I guess as much as they love routine, they love adventure and change too!
2 comments:
Awe, I can't wait to partake in the routine!
Post a Comment