Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Santa-less Christmas

I'm not trying to make a statement here or change parent's minds about how they choose to celebrate Christmas and involving Santa. These are just my choices.

Jonah and Leila are 3 and they are old enough now to where we can have pretty good conversations where they understand how things work, for as much as a 3 year old can. So it was the year where I had to be on my game a lot about questions they ask me. I don't like going back on my word with them because they'll hear my first answer and then believe that for the rest of their current existence.

For example, they started asking about Santa Claus. Last year they were too young to really know nor care. This year, they are seeing more images of this guy and hearing his name in Christmas songs. Santa blow up characters in people's yards, Santa on every Christmas item in the stores. There is just no getting away from this guy! I wasn't sure at first, how I would approach the whole Santa question. They kept asking who he was, why he has reindeer, why he is in the mall. Now before I tell you how I responded, let me just say one more thing.

This year when we were talking about Christmas time, I told them that Christmas is Jesus' birthday. That is why we celebrate Christmas. I tried repeating it throughout the months so they get a firm idea of what it is exactly. So when the kids are watching Mickey's Clubhouse and they are talking about Santa flying in the sky to visit us them for Christmas, Jonah and Leila start asking about Santa again. I feel the need to change the channel because I feel like I have to get defensive about this now. So I turn it on Dora. A minute later Dora the Explorer is talking about Santa bringing all the girls and boys presents! That's it! So I turn the tv off.

So you can guess by my responses that I decided to tell the kids Santa is not real. They are only 3 years old, and yes, I told them Santa is just pretend. They  responded with, "Well who brings our presents then?" And I told them that mommies and daddies and our family are the ones that get presents for good girls and good boys. I told them Santa is not real and people just like to dress up like him.

I continued to tell them that we celebrate Christmas because of Jesus. When I was wrapping presents, I got a cross for someone in my family and the crown of thorns was around the cross and Leila asked me why it was so pokey. I explained to them how Jesus had to wear that because some bad men made him. I pretty much told them the whole story of Jesus' crucifixion, in the best way I could for a young child to understand. I made sure to make it animated so that they stayed interested.

I find myself as a parent to be very honest with my kids. Ever since they were old enough to somewhat understand my answers to their questions, I've been really honest. Even about death. I've explained death and Heaven more times to them than probably most 3 year olds have ever heard. They know that living things die and they go to Heaven. I understand that myself as a parent, I am probably exposing them to things a bit early, but you know, I'm fine with that. That is just how I am as a parent. Nobody knows their "parenting style" or how they will really be as a parent, until you are actually in the process of being one. I didn't think that I'd be super honest with my children at this age or be anti-Santa Claus, but this is just what I believe in the parent perspective that I have and this is how I choose to raise my children.

I've had some of my family members and close friends comment on how I shouldn't be so serious with how exposed with Santa they get because after all it's "just for fun". But I have my reasons for wanting to keep Santa out of Christmas, and Jesus more IN Christmas, and these are my children, and this is how I choose to raise them. I would just like people to respect my choice because while it may be "just for fun" for you, it's not to me.

I just become very defensive of my Jesus and I don't like anyone else stealing the spotlight from Him on the time of year where it should all be focused on Him and His love. So every time the kids talk about Santa or watch a movie or show with Santa in it, that's less focus and attention on what Christmas is really about- Jesus. I guess that's why I feel so anti-Santa with my kids.

There's no escaping seeing Santa everywhere they look for Christmas, but that just means I have to work harder to put Jesus into the spotlight. Tonight actually, when I was putting the kids to bed, I told them the entire story from birth to resurrection of Jesus, in a way that a 3 year old can understand :) I felt really good about it afterward because I feel like with each time I talk about the story of Jesus it is becoming ingrained in their brains.

Last thing before I forget... after shower time tonight I was getting them dressed. Leila was dressed first and I told her to go eat her food on the table. While I was still in their room getting Jonah dressed, I heard Leila mumbling out there and as I come out of the room, she is finishing saying her prayers at the table. It just made me very very proud to hear her pray to Jesus for her food because she knows that that is the right thing to do.. even without me there. That just makes all my efforts worth it.

1 comment:

Ashley P. said...

That's fantastic Ash! We plan on doing the exact same with Alex. He's still too young to really know or care about Christmas in general, but next year we will definitely be having "the talk" lol Both sides of our families feel the same as yours, so we're in the same boat. We actually don't have a Christmas tree either and got a lot of comments on it as well.