Friday, February 19, 2010

So NOT like the picture...

There is this recipe by the Picky Palate called Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies and I have been wanting to try it out ever since I saw the mouth-watering life-like ooey-gooey warm and moist picture. So I decided to give it a try!


Step 1: Make the dough .. flour..butter..sugar, etc. Then divide in half and let chill in fridge for 2 hours in the shape of a disk.

Step 2: Take disk and divide into 3 parts.

Step 3: Roll out and rub butter all over.
The dough at this point is very dry and not easy to work with. Cracks at the edges.

Step 4: Sprinkle brown sugar all over, then cinnamon.
Okay.. seems easy enough. This outa be tasty!! Look at all that cinnamon and sugar!! MMM

Let's just eat it right now.

Step 5: Roll up into a "log" and cut into 1 inch pieces.
This is my version of the log. It was really hard to roll up and kept crumbling apart.

Step 6: Bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes and.... voila????

These SO do NOT look appetizing.

I wish I could say they came out moist and soft, but I'd be lying. These came out deformed, cracked, hard as a rock, and didn't really smell all that great. I didn't even leave them in for that long.

I made cream cheese icing and spread it on one to try it.
I didn't even bother putting icing on the rest because it tasted really gross. Like wheat flour raw dough and cheap tasting homemade icing.

It turned out so NOT like the picture....

[picture by Picky Palate]

So what went wrong? Well... (1) I had to use half wheat flour because I ran out of white flour. (2) I skipped the sour cream that I was supposed to mix in with the dough because we didn't have any. How important could it be anyway? It's not like I was baking bread and didn't use yeast.

I guess it did make a difference though. What a waste! I really got my hopes up on this one lol.

3 comments:

Ink Obsession Designs said...

Oh no! That kind of stuff always happens to me. I skip an ingredient here and there and of course always discover later that it was something important. Maybe next time will be better? :)

Nakeisha James said...

hey if at first you don't succeed try try again =) I'm sure once you have all the ingredients you'll make them just like the picture =) do share with us again if you make some more!! that picture at the top looked yuuuummmmyyy!!

Much Love & Blessings,Nakeisha

Cafe with Kim said...

I always pick out recipes to try by the picture first, ingredients second... I wish they turned out like the pictures!!!