This is my modest swimsuit. I like it because I don't dread putting on a bathing suit and exposing parts of my body that make me feel self-conscious or embarrassed. I don't like men looking at exposed parts of me when I swim. I don't want to draw attention to myself for men to look at me in only the way my husband shall be looking at me. So I like this because this is something I am comfortable wearing in front of my church family, friends, co-workers, whoever.
The bottom is a skirt with attached leggings. The top is just a swim shirt/rash guard. I used to wear board shorts and a tankini or something like it. I wouldn't like how the shorts would always stick to my body. Most of them were shorter than I would prefer anyway. I could never find longer board shorts without going extremely long like the ones they have for men. I don't want to look manly. So I searched for modest swim suits and it was difficult to find something that I felt comfortable in. I finally found something I am happy with.
Do I feel different swimming in public? I did at first. The first time I wore it was at the YMCA waterpark. Surprisingly, I found another woman wearing a fully covered swim suit with long sleeves and pants, except just made out of neoprene material. I talked with her and felt comforted that she shared the same views. Other people stared at me. After a few times of wearing it, I still get stares and weird looks and some people have even asked me why. I feel comfortable in it enough to share my reasons. I just want to be modest. I don't feel weird. Actually I feel proud that I choose to honor my beliefs even when I stand out.

No comments:
Post a Comment