Friday, May 16, 2008

New Opportunities


I started my new job in the mail room. Right now I'm working in the mornings there so I can train, and in the afternoon, I'm still at the motor pool, training my replacement so he can be sufficient enough for me to leave there. (This picture is of me in my current office in the motor pool. It's the size of a closet and has no windows and the a/c doesn't work in the summer!!)

The mail room, so far, is great. The people, I love working with. They really display to me the importance of mail. It means the world to people, especially over here, a world away from home. There's a lot involved with picking it up, sorting letters and packages, finding forwarding addresses to the people gone, taking account for certified mail, express, registered, etc. Then we have to have each person sign different things for it, deal with people in-processing/out-processing.It's a lot more than I expected, but I know what's I catch on to everything, it'll be a lot more pleasant.

I've been waiting for this job for a while now. Since October 07. It's a good job to have. More relaxed than the motor pool. Plus I needed to move onto something different after working there for so long.

Our hula group is getting offers for paid performances now! One manager of a restaurant on-post even asking if we'd perform on a regular basis for a salary. It's exciting to see what my one little idea of starting a hula class here can turn into. I teach a kids class, 12 and under, and then an adult class, 13 and up. The kids had their first performance yesterday at the bowling alley for an event they had. They dance right on the lane floors and performed 3 dances! I was so proud of them because a lot of them are so young, but they learn so fast. I felt like this is my baby, and look at what came of it. The adults are really starting to advance to more dances and we have a lot of performance coming up. I'm glad I have this on the side because it makes me feel like I'm back in the states again, just doing a hobby.

Oh! And I get promoted on the 1st of the month. It's about time.. it's been a LONG RIDE.

1 comment:

Auntie Becky said...

Hi Ashley and Jason,

First of all Happy Birthday Ashley. I didn't know you did Hula dancing. It's so great that you have put your talents to such good use. I remember when my girls did all the traveling to do the shows. They have really good memories. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Auntie Becky